Olukemi Nelson Biography
Chief Mrs Kemi Nelson was born February 9, 1956 to the illustrious Tinubu-Meredith/Laja families. Chief (Mrs.) Kemi Nelson is well known in social circle for her low cut hair style, her unique head-gear and her dancing prowess.
She had her secondary school education at Anglican Girls Grammar School, Ijebu-Ode and her tertiary education at University Teaching Hospital (UCH), Ibadan, where she trained as a nurse and mid-wife.
She attended Lagos State University (LASU), Ojo, where she had a diploma in law and Masters degree in Business Administration.
She a Fellow of the National Institute of Marketing, a Member of the Institute of Directors and Chairman School Leadership Project development Committee (Nigerian Institute of Leadership) amongst many other professional organizations.
Kemi Nelson Education and Trainings
1. Chief (Mrs). Olukemi Nelson holds a Masters of Business Administration specialising in MBA Financial Management and a Diploma in Law from the Lagos State University Ojo.
2. Kemi Nelson had her secondary school education at Anglican Girls Grammar School, Ijebu-Ode and her tertiary education at University Teaching Hospital (UCH), Ibadan, where she trained as a nurse and mid-wife.
3. As a firm believer in continuous capacity development and firm believer in the economic empowerment of women, Chief (Mrs) Kemi Nelson has attended many local and international trainings programs/conferences including the 62nd United Nations Commission on the Status of Women in New York, USA – 2018;
4. National Programme and Systems of Occupational Safety and Health (ITC-ILO –Turin, Italy) – 2017;
5. Women in Leadership Summit in San Francisco, USA;
6. Management Induction Forum for Top Functionaries in Lagos State; Business Women Conference, Washington DC, USA;
7. 29th World Conference of International Federation of Training and Development Organisation (IFTDO), England;
8. 58th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women, New York (CSW 58th) and the 2014 African Women Summit, New York.
Kemi Nelson Awards
Olukemi Nelson received numerous awards such as:
1. the Accomplished Women in Politics Award by the Association of Professional Women Engineers of Nigeria 2001;
2. Commissioner for Employment of the Year 2000 by the Chartered Institute of Marketing of Nigeria;
3. Distinguished Florence Nightingale Fellow (DFNF);
4. The Dynamic Millennium Manager of LASUMBA 2001 Award;
5. The Most Dynamic Female Commissioner in Nigeria Year 2001 by the National Association of Women Journalist (NAWOJ);
6. Good Governance Award 2003 by Lagos State AD Lawyers Forum
7. the Award for Meritorious Service for the cause of women by the African Women Summit held in New York, USA
Kemi Nelson Career in Politics
Kemi Nelson is an A-list progressive politician in Lagos State and a front-row member of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu political establishment. She served as the Lagos State Commissioner for Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation between 1999 and 2003.
She had also served as the Women Leader of Lagos State Chapter of APC and later made the South West Women Leader of APC. She is the only female member of the influential Governor’s Advisory Council (GAC) of Lagos State.
During Abacha’s regime, she was a member UNCP, the political platform she contested for Ikeja Federal Constituent in 1998 and won before the death of Abacha truncated her dream of becoming a member of House Representatives.
In 1999, she joined Alliance for Democracy (AD) and later became a member of Bola Tinubu’s cabinet first as Commissioner for Establishment, Training and Job Creation and later Commissioner for Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, the position she held till 2003.
Today, aside being the women leader, South West and Lagos State for All Progressives Congress (APC), she is one of the deciding factors in Ikeja politics.
Kemi Nelson Husband
Chief (Mrs.) Kemi Nelson is married to Mr. Adeyemi Nelson, a retired director of Federal Ministry of Internal Affairs. Their love affair started during their secondary school days when she was just in form two at Anglican Girls Grammar School, Ijebu-Ode and Adeyemi was in form four at Birch Freeman High School, Surulere, Lagos.
They got married in 1987 and had three children two of whom are already parents themselves.