Who was the Africa’s most promising citizen, leading transformation and change on an international stage this year? Ngozi-Okonjo Iweala as the Chair of Gavi is leading the charge for the equitable distribution of the coveted Covid-19 vaccine in Africa when it arrives. Since its creation in 2000, Gavi has immunised 580 million children globally and saved 8 million lives.
She is also Senior Adviser at Lazard, one the world’s premier financial advisory and asset management firms.
Dr Okonjo-Iweala served twice as Nigeria’s Finance Minister, from 2003-2006, 2011-2015, and briefly Foreign Minister in 2006, the first woman to hold both positions.
She spent a 25-year career at the World Bank as a development economist, rising to the No. 2 position of Managing Director, responsible for an $81 billion operational portfolio including Europe and Central Asia, South Asia, and Africa (2007-2011).
She also serves on Twitter’s board of directors, as chair of the GAVI vaccine alliance and as a special envoy for the World Health Organisation’s Covid-19 fight.
Earlier, she said that her broad experience in championing reform made her the right person to help put the WTO back on track. “I am a reform candidate and I think the WTO needs the reform credentials and skills now.
Dr Okonjo-Iweala has been listed as:
1. one of the 50 Greatest World Leaders (Fortune, 2015),
2. Top 100 Most Influential People in the World (TIME, 2014),
3. Top 100 Global Thinkers (Foreign Policy, 2011 and 2012),
4. Top 100 Most Powerful Women in the World (Forbes, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014),
5. Top 3 Most Powerful Women in Africa (Forbes, 2012),
5. Top 10 Most Influential Women in Africa (Forbes, 2011),
6. Top 100 Women in the World (The Guardian, 2011),
7. Top 150 Women in the World (Newsweek, 2011),
8. Top 100 most inspiring people in the World Delivering for Girls and Women (Women Deliver, 2011)
Ngozi-Okonjo Iweala: 2020 NairaLady Person Of The Year
Ngozi-Okonjo Iweala as the Chair of Gavi is leading the charge for the equitable distribution of the coveted Covid-19 vaccine in Africa when it arrives. Since its creation in 2000, Gavi has immunised 580 million children globally and saved 8 million lives.
Ngozi-Okonjo Iweala is selected by Nairalady.com as ‘2020 NairaLady Person Of The Year’.